Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Electric Chair

 Just when I thought my well of stories might be drying up a new day dawns and a new story begins.  That's the thing with caring for a person that has dementia, everyday is a new day and yesterday doesn't exist.
     Today is Sunday and it rained all day.  This kind of weather offers me little in the ways I can entertain my mom. Obviously I can't take her out so once again we are stuck in the house.  If the sun was shining she could sit outside but not today.  We are all stuck in the house in front of our new 50" TV. At times, Mom thinks she is in the movies and that works out well because it makes her feel as though she has gone out.  Unfortunately, after the movie finishes she wants to leave.
     "Ok, Deborah.  Let's go."
     "Go where Mom?"
     "You know we have to go now.  We can't stay here all day. I have to get home."
     "Ok, mom.  In a few minutes."
And than I put another movie on and so the story goes.
     But, today it went a little different.  First of all, I put on the Russell Crowe 'Robin Hood' and than I went out for about an hour and a half with my husband.  By the time I got back Crowe was fighting the last battle of the movie and saving Maid Marion on the waterfront.
     "Deborah.  Deborah," she called as soon as she heard the door open and close.  I honestly don't know how she could have heard the door with all that fighting going on in the movie. I like to think she has selective hearing.
     "I'll be right there," and I walked into the living room to see her.
With the earnestness of a child when she discovers the surprise beneath a wrapped present she said, "This is some movie. You should see all that man does."
     "I know Mom, it is a really good movie."
     "Watch him."  So, I sat down and caught the last fifteen minutes of Robin Hood, who happens to be my favorite outlaw.
I noticed once the credits were rolling, so was mom.
     "Deborah."
     "What mom?" I was putting a DVD in to keep the illusion going.
     "I want to get off."
     "What are you talking about," I asked with my back to her.
     "I want to get down."
     "Down.  What are you," and than I turned to see what she was doing.
She had the remote from her chair in her hand and she was pushing the buttons up and down.  She had the chair all the way back so her feet were way up in the air.
"Mom, what are you doing! Press the down button."
"I did but I don't know what happened. Here you do it."
So, I pressed the down button and she went forward till she was in a sitting position.
"Now, let's go. I'm done," she said so determined.
And she certainly was.  I had to take the control from her and hide it in the pocket on the side of the chair.  There will be no more rides on the electric chair for her today because the next stop just might have to be the Cyclone at Coney Island.

No comments: