Thursday, June 23, 2011

Margarita straight up with salt, PLEASE!

This past week I had three birthdays in my house to celebrate and three different birthday cakes to make or buy.  OK, so I am a bit indulgent when it comes to my kids.  In any case, the weather was beautiful and hot and it made us thirsty, even mom.

"I want one too," she ordered when she saw the margarita glasses come out and the smoothie maker motor begin its familiar summer chant. Rrrrrr, Rrrrrr roared the motor throughout the house, sounds of delight and promise to quench the thirst of a sweaty sunbather or in this case a 92 year old grandmother with nothing but time on her hands.

When the drinks were dispersed we poured some into a small brandy glass for mom.
"Why is my glass so small?  I want one of those," she said as she pointed to the colorful margarita shaped glasses.
The aide quickly replied, "Jean, that's too much for you to drink.  It has alcohol in it.  It don't go good with your medicines."
"I don't care," mom barked.  "I want what they're  having."

At first I was inclined to agree with the aide, but quickly realized that at 92 she could have whatever she wants (in moderation of course).  However, I soon came to regret my good intention.  If Ringling Brothers was looking for a new main attraction for the center ring, my dinner table last Sunday would get top billing.
"Whoopee! Whoopee!," she resounded as she waved her margarita glass in the air over and over again.  It was so comical that my son posted his dear ole' nanny on U-tube.
I guess tequila and anti-depressants actually aren't such a good idea, or are they?  Judge for yourself. Click Here
I know one thing for sure, she slept like a rock or maybe it's like someone hit her over the head with a rock.

No comments: